Winter Safety Tips From Red Star Electric
From chilling temperatures to slippery sidewalks, winter is a season that brings unique safety concerns. Please keep your family cozy and safe this winter by remembering a few important tips.
- Before frigid temperatures set in, hire a professional to conduct a safety inspection of your heating units, as well as your fireplace’s flue and chimney.
- If you’ll be using space heaters, make sure your rooms have proper ventilation and that the units are not placed near anything flammable. Using unsafe heating systems can result in fires.
- Be Aware of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless vapor that is sometimes produced by gas furnaces and space heaters. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include nausea, dizziness, severe headache, confusion, and unconsciousness. If you notice these symptoms in yourself or a family member, go to the emergency room right away.
- Protect Your Plumbing. When temperatures dip below freezing, it’s important to take steps to prevent ruptured plumbing. To prevent burst pipes, leave water dripping slightly so that water is constantly running through them to reduce the chances of freezing.
- Clear Snow and Remove Ice. Falls are the number one cause of injuries to adults. Many of these falls happen when sidewalks, driveways, and walkways are covered in snow and ice. Make sure any of these surfaces around your home are shoveled regularly and free from debris.
- Prepare for Winter Storms. Stock up on the following supplies:
- Battery-powered radio
- Flashlights and lanterns, with spare batteries
- Drinking water
- Non-perishable food that doesn’t require cooking
- Baby food and formula, if needed
- Pet food
- Prescription medications
- First aid kit